Be aware of Middle States requirements for new programs

A new program cannot begin without the approval of the Middle States Commission on Higher Education if it involves a substantive change in the University's accredited status.  Commission authorization is most likely to be necessary when a new program will be offered jointly with another institution, especially if it is located overseas.  Individuals developing a new program should, therefore, determine if it will need Commission approval by consulting the Middle States' Substantive Policy Statement or by contacting the Office of the Vice Provost for Academic Programs. If it does, they should also keep in mind the schedule included in that Statement for when proposals need to be forwarded to the Commission.