Substantive Change: Middle States

Changes in a degree or certificate program may require the approval of the Middle States Commission on Higher Education if they involve modifications that meet the Commission’s definition of a “substantive change.”  The Commission defines the type of changes that require its review in a document entitled Substantive Change Policy Statement

While the policy statement describes all of the actions that might trigger a substantive change review, there are two types that are most likely to require the University to ask for the Commission's approval.  These occur when a school wishes to modify collaborative programs it has developed with other universities, especially in other countries:

Departments and schools interested in creating degree and certificate programs with other educational institutions should contact the Office of the Vice Provost for Academic Administration to determine if the Middle States Commission needs to review its plans. When the Commission's approval is required, the originating unit should prepare a proposal that follows the guidelines included in the Substantive Change Policy Statement.  That proposal differs in content and form from the one that must be prepared for the University Senate and the New York State Education Department.