Curricular Changes in Registered Programs

The New York State Education Department (NYSED) does not provide clear guidance in its publications about the type of curricular changes it wants to approve. Changes in the content of an individual course or the substitution of one required course for another do not rise to that level. On the other hand, the NYSED’s authorization is needed for such changes as a major reorganization of the curriculum, the addition or elimination of a major requirement, or a change in the focus of a program.  Due to the ambiguity in the NYSED’s expectations, schools should consult with the Office of the Vice Provost for Academic Programs whenever they intend to make material alterations in the curricula they offer.